Happy Monday! I hope you had a great start of 2016. I am so happy to be back here and to reading your blogs. Oh my, what a weekend it was… On Saturday night I got the inflammation of my wisdom tooth’s nerve and spent a sleepless night trying to numb the pain with the pain killers. Didn’t work. On Sunday it got better, but it was impossible to get a dentist appointment in holiday season. Today I finally got to the doctor and after 5 shots of Novocaine, the work has been done. I still feel fragile and weak, but so much better! I hope to get a full night sleep today! If not for my knitting projects, I would just go crazy. Keeping my hands and mind focused on the stitches got me through all this fun. And I as I am a hopeless believer that everything is for the better, I tried to get the best out of the situation, not that I succeeded 100% – I was such a whiner – but at least I got Reindeer from the Woods off the needles, just in time for the last day of Andi’s KAL!
It is a weird and wonderful feeling knitting from your own pattern. I guess it’s like re-reading your favorite book – you know all the characters and how their lives will turn around, you know that you won’t find anything new or exciting in the book – you’ve read it all; but at the same time there is a feeling of comfort, even security – you know what to expect and where you will end up.
Yarn. 100% local cotton. My husband brought it for me from his trip to Mexico City 1.5 year ago. Its name is Otoño, which means “autumn”. I doubt there is a better name for this shade – such a perfect green! It was an absolutely different experience working with cotton rather than with merino/silk blend used in the original. Reindeer from the Woods is not that soft and drapey as his ancestor, the fabric is more structured. The row gauge is also different, as silk lengthens the rows a little bit, but the row gauge is not that crucial in this project.
Hem. I enjoy working with slipped stitches so much, it is a great alternative to classic ribbing. It’s not always easy to find the perfect “partner” for cables, but now looking at how cables are growing from the hem, I realize it was worth all these weeks of swatching!
Neckband. I decided to make the neckband much more narrow than in the original, to get a more “open” cardi.
The last rows were knit on smaller needles which pulled the fronts in and created a slight slope.
Sleeves. My favorite part – the contrast of textured stripes and the plain stockinette makes my heart sing 🙂 The sleeves are slightly shorter than in the original.
Looking forward to wearing it!
Have a great week!