My off time is over. I am really grateful for these 18 days that I spent mostly reading, walking, meeting with friends, exercising and knitting/crocheting. I really needed this time off. Now, full of energy I am getting back to my working routine.
My favorite sweater of the vacation time was the Raglan Pullover from Creative Cables. It kept me warm during chilly mornings and nights.
As I promised I am going to walk you through all the modifications that have been done, just in case if you need it someday.
It was my first raglan shaped pullover! I can’t believe it took me so long to get to it. Usually I prefer set-in-sleeve or drop-shoulder sweaters.
First of all, I chose the simple stockinette stitch background instead of the rib pattern. I loved the cable panel so much that I wanted it to stand out as much as possible, and the stockinette seems less busy to me.
Edges. I just don’t like when cables start growing out of nowhere. The rib pattern was too complicated to introduce so it would naturally flow into the cables, so I took the easy road and made a folded hem knit on needles, size 3mm (the body itself was knit on 4 mm). I cast on with Backwards Loop (aka e-loop) method. It’s important to use this method, as it allows you to pick up the cast on stitches later when you fold the hem. Then I knitted 13 rows and on the 14th row I picked up the cast-on stitches and knit them together with the ones on the needle. I think it gives the sweater a neat finished look.
The wrong side
The same was done on the sleeves.
Cable panel. I decided not to repeat the cable panel on the back as the pattern suggested. On the one hand it surely saves your time and yarn, on the other hand you need to spend some extra time doing math to calculate the proper number of stitches for simple stockinette stitch back instead of cable panel.
Neckline. I preferred the 1*1 rib pattern to 2*2. I picked up stitches with 4 mm needle, knit two rows with 3.5 mm needle and finished with 3 mm needle. This way the neckline flows along your neck and doesn’t pucker.
As it was my first raglan sweater, I did a bind off on the front part similar to the set-in-sleeve pullover.
So I had to hide the extra fabric at the neckline in the ribbing.
I crocheted the chain along the neckline and picked the stitches from that chain. I think it helped to hide all the flaws.
I hope it helped if you are considering this pattern. I really enjoyed making it.